The Travel Insider
To find the very best possible fare, it is necessary to do the same things that a travel agent would do. Here are fourteen different things to consider when finding the lowest fare. A travel agent can, should, and, depending on the preferences of their client, usually does evaluate all of these things in determining your travel needs. It only takes them a few short minutes. If you want to be your own travel agent, then here are some of the things you need to consider in order to feel confident that the airline tickets/fares you are buying are likely to be good (if not best) value and most suitable for you.
1. Different airline for entire itinerary
2. Different airlines for different parts of the itinerary
3. Different time of day
4. Different day of week outbound and/or inbound
5. Different length of stay
6. Positioning Flights
7. Completely different travel dates
8. Different Airports
9. Different routing
10. Different sequence of stops if multiple stop itinerary
11. Split Ticketing
12. Back to back and hidden city ticket loopholes
13. Unpublished fares
14. Too Low a Fare This information was obtained through this very informative website.